For me this is the taste and smell of summer. Growing up in South Wellington these chops were always present at summer BBQ’s. This is not dainty or tidy food. You eat them with your hands, you will need a wet towel or a finger bowl afterwards. Real food, real mess, real yum.
– lamb chops , I like shoulder chops but best end / loin chops work too
– 4 tablespoons garlic paste
– 2 tablespoon ginger powder
– 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
– 4 tablespoons yoghurt
– juice of 2 lemons
– 4 teaspoons of cumin seed
– 3 teaspoons coriander seed
– 1 teaspoon fenugreek
– 2 tablespoons turmeric
– 5 black peppercorns
– 2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
– 4 red chilli sliced , seeds in or out depending on how hot you want it
– 1 bunch of coriander leaf chopped
– Chopped lemons to serve
Combine first marinade ingredients. Flatten the chops out with the palm of your hand.
Cover the chops in the marinade and reserve on the fridge for 2 hours.
Place the masala spices and salt in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Combine with chili and coriander.
Cover chops and marinate in the fridge for 3 to 48 hours.
Cook over hot coals or on a gas hot plate.
Serve with lemon wedges . Squeeze lemon juice over and eat with your hands. A little salad on the side will make it a main.