Its high summer which means tomatoes are cheap which means its time to make tomato sauce. I make a few varients, some using the smoker to add some earthy tang to proceedings. This one however plays on the flavours of a good Pico de Gallo Salsa. I call it Salsa Sauce but I suppose its what you often see referred to as taco sauce.
2.5kg tomatoes chopped roughly
4 green pepper diced
1 head of garlic sliced
4 onions sliced
4 red chilli sliced
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground back pepper
6 teaspoons salt
500ml malt vinegar
750g white sugar
Extra salt for seasoning
Extra vinegar for seasoning
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 apples cored and chopped with skin
1 bunch coriander leaf chopped.
– Put chopped tomatoes into a nonreactive bowl and sprinkle salt over.
– add oil to a frying pan or dutch oven , heat and sautee onions with a pinch of salt over a low heat, as they go translucent add garlic, then chilli and green pepper , apples and spices . Fry till softened.
– take the fried mix off the heat and allow to cool. Meanwhile food process the tomato mixture in batches .
– food process the cooled fried mix in batches.
– Combined fried mix , tomatos, vinegar and sugar in a stock pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours , add coriander last five minutes.
– Taste a cooled sample and adjust with salt and vinegar .
– Bottle in sterilized bottles.